Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Competency 6: Browsing Search Strategy



Reflection: I searched LibLit. I clicked on Thesaurus and then entered medical librarians. Then I clicked on medical librarians (22 records). I found an article on Ethics and the Role of the Medical Librarian by browsing the contents and then selecting what I wanted. By using browsing, I find information on my topic that I might have found after many searches. I also found information that I might now had considered before that I found relevant to my topic at hand. I also found information that I thought might be informative to me at a later date (when writing a paper, etc.). However, I think this strategy requires more time than other strategies, since you're browsing and basically performing an "if and hope" search as I call it (if I find something, I hope I find something).